on i walked, past the moth balls, the fiber granola bars, nose hair trimmers, funfetti cake mix, family packs of bologna… still no relish. i started to panic. what if i never find it? or even worse, what if i never find my way out of this place??!?! i started to wheeze.
then suddenly, right in front of the display of holiday themed cupcakes, a giant hole opened up in the floor. it was dark and a bit musty. but i didn’t care – it was a way out! i jumped in, feet first.
and out i came in belize, just like that. sitting under a palm tree, in front of the ocean, a warm, fresh breeze on my face. my friend ruddy appeared, with a fresh coconut, the top cut off, a straw dipped in to reach the sweet, fresh water inside. ok, i thought. i like this kind of shopping.
So I wrote a book.
It’s a short book… I suppose it’s a children’s book but I don’t really think of it as one.
It’s a picture book. For all ages.
I wrote it rather quickly, and only after some time had gone by, did I realize what it was actually about. Does that ever happen to you? I’ll write something and I won’t know where it comes from until after I’m done and I go back and read it and then it makes sense…
After I realized what it was, I asked my Uncle Jan to illustrate it. I was afraid he’d say no, but maybe he realized what the book was too, and thankfully, he agreed to add illustrations to my text.
And here we are, a year later, and the book is done.
The book is for my Mom, who passed away March 10, 2011 after 13 weeks of illness. I can’t explain here what that was like, but I can say it was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do. This is a book about that experience.
My Uncle Jan is a wonderful artist, and it’s so generous of him to have created the beautiful illustrations that are in this book. I know that he did it for my mom. But I also know that it was for me, too. So thank you, Uncle.
The finished product is a gift. It’s a gift for my Mom, it’s a gift for me and my family. I am so very proud of it. To me, it feels like closure, it feels right.
I hope that you’ll take a minute and go look at it. And being the good marketer that I am, of course I’ll point out that if you like it, you can get your own copy… right here.
It’s a beautiful book. I know my Mom would love it.
The Beginning of the Beginning……………….The last chapter is now the first. Open up, be kind, smile, melt.
It was quite HOT down there, and since I am a Professional Desk Hamster, I don’t get out in the heat much anymore and I wasn’t really accustomed to it. It made me a little less motivated, I’m sorry to say. Guess I’ll have to head back again soon… when it’s cooler though!
|bob sr, bob jr, bruce and ollie|
|driving into the rain…|
- Get in overall better physical shape
- Travel within the United States and find interesting places for challenging hikes
- Learn to quilt
- Cook something more involved than a turkey sandwich and steamed broccoli
- Write grown-up and children’s picture books
- Publish a book of essays
- Volunteer to teach people to read
- Day Trade
- Get one more tattoo and color part of my hair blue – both just because I can and before I’m so old that they both seem even more ridiculous undertakings than they already do.
- Making my lunch to take to work
- Wearing heels and “dress slacks”
- Having performance reviews
- Answering the phone leading off with “thank you for calling – insert company name here.”
- Going to meetings while listening to people in suits try to sell stuff